No More Heading Kids

Discussion of officiating and the Laws. The good the bad and the blind. Note: this forum is not for discussing issues of STYSA or local association governance or rules.

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine, generalzodd

2LongNAUS
STXSoccer Forum Legend

No More Heading Kids

Post by 2LongNAUS » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:05 pm

“I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league” - Mark Viduka

Re: No More Heading Kids

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 am

I think this is the right step. Heading skills can come later in life.

I know you are a lawyer. I have a question for you. I am on my last of several kiddos playing soccer. I have had 2 that play defender. I have only my experiences to use to form my judgement on this issue, but the consistency of the calls in question have been 100% so I believe others have suffered from the same calls.

The ball is sent by kick or punt in the air toward the defenders. The defender settles under the ball and jumps to clear a header back toward the midfield. The opposing forward running toward the defender attempts to head the ball forward, but is late and crashes head first into the defender usually in the head. Both players fall, but the defender almost always bears the brunt of the impact because the offender is moving forward. The ref runs toward the players usually calls coaches and trainers on the field, players are cleared, ball is either dropped, sent back to keeper, or on occasion the defending team gets a free kick.

My child has been knocked out of three games (2 concussions and one other hospital visit for a potential fracture of the cheekbone). Another defender has also been knocked out of two games and has missed 6 other games as a result of repercussions of these late challenges. In 4 of the five games that a defender has left the game, the forward delivering the blow stayed or returned to the game. These are games played at the highest level of youth leagues and have what I'm told are the most experienced referees. Not one time has a red or yellow been shown to the player delivering the blow. As I mentioned, some were not even called fouls.

In football at the college and pro level, a defender (in similar fashion to a charging forward) delivering a blow to an opponents head is penalized. In college it's an ejection, plus penalty plus miss part of the next game. In the pros, it's a big penalty and I believe will eventually result in ejection. IN YOUTH SOCCER WITHOUT HELMETS, ITS NO PENALTY, DRAG THE DEFENDER TO THE HOSPITAL, PLAY ON!

I have considered filing a lawsuit against US Soccer in an attempt to implement and enforce a rule protecting defenders. I have video and photos of various hits of this nature. In one photo, I have my child, the ball being headed away by my child, the opposing forward jumping up just before the player impales my child, the center referee five yards away looking at the action and a sideline ref looking at the play. To this day, this play reminds me of Rudy T getting punched by Kermit Washington in terms of the impact to my child. Yet, had my child had a late slide tackle a yellow would be shown. A late challenge to the head should be an immediate red card, just like head to head contact in college football in is an ejection.

I have brought these concerns to my club, the response has been weak. The staff attitudes it to bad luck. Bang bang plays happen. Given the systematic denial of danger, it has been ignored. As a lawyer and a person that has advocated child safety, I am wondering what you think of these type of plays. I am also interested in whether any other families that visit this site feels the same way. Somebody needs to make a call to action.

Concerned Parent

Post by Concerned Parent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 am

I should add a couple other things.

The above isn't about money. I believe it is about awareness and implementing new rules.

Until we have new rules players will continue to deliver these dangerous blows and one days a serious injury will occur (maybe even has already). Players will adjust just as they have in football. You still see head blows in football, but the incidents have greatly diminished.

Concussions are serious, and my family has no idea what the long term affect will be on my children. While I'm not losing sleep on this issue, it does concern me. I don't want there to be a long term affect on my child or any others 20 years down the road from playing youth sports.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:12 am

Concerned Parent wrote:I should add a couple other things.

The above isn't about money. I believe it is about awareness and implementing new rules.

Until we have new rules players will continue to deliver these dangerous blows and one days a serious injury will occur (maybe even has already). Players will adjust just as they have in football. You still see head blows in football, but the incidents have greatly diminished.

Concussions are serious, and my family has no idea what the long term affect will be on my children. While I'm not losing sleep on this issue, it does concern me. I don't want there to be a long term affect on my child or any others 20 years down the road from playing youth sports.
Perhaps Ping Pong is a better sport for you to consider.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:33 am

Guest wrote:
Concerned Parent wrote:I should add a couple other things.

Perhaps Ping Pong is a better sport for you to consider.
Spoken like a true imbecile.