Professional Behavior Leads to Less Conflict

Discussion of officiating and the Laws. The good the bad and the blind. Note: this forum is not for discussing issues of STYSA or local association governance or rules.

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine, generalzodd

dualdellortos
STXSoccer Forum Legend

Professional Behavior Leads to Less Conflict

Post by dualdellortos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:58 am

Just sharing a story from my son's Friday college game.

Throughout the match, the center referee used profanity as in (Move the F****** wall back, Get the F*** away from me, Back the F*** up. We are all big boys so it is not that the players found it offensive, nor are they all choirboys and never use profanity themselves.

But, with two minutes left in a tie game, he awards a penalty to the home team and a player says to the official "You are a cheat". No profanity, but understandably not words that the referee wants to hear. The fact that the AR, who has the far better angle as the referee was trailing play by a considerable distance, is standing there shaking his head in disbelief at the foul call certainly didn't help matters but is by no means an excuse for the player calling the center a cheat.

But...........Is this dissent or foul and abusive language?

For a center official, the referee has set the bar of unacceptable foul or abusive language pretty dang high with his own foul and abusive vocabulary, so you can understand the surprise on the player's face when he was sent off.

Thoughts?

Are we going to hold players to a HIGHER level then we hold ourselves as officials?

Just thinking out loud here.....
It's All About Captain Shreve........
#leavethejerseyinabetterplace

Regit
STXSoccer National Team

Re: Professional Behavior Leads to Less Conflict

Post by Regit » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 am

dualdellortos wrote:Just sharing a story from my son's Friday college game.

Throughout the match, the center referee used profanity as in (Move the F****** wall back, Get the F*** away from me, Back the F*** up. We are all big boys so it is not that the players found it offensive, nor are they all choirboys and never use profanity themselves.

But, with two minutes left in a tie game, he awards a penalty to the home team and a player says to the official "You are a cheat". No profanity, but understandably not words that the referee wants to hear. The fact that the AR, who has the far better angle as the referee was trailing play by a considerable distance, is standing there shaking his head in disbelief at the foul call certainly didn't help matters but is by no means an excuse for the player calling the center a cheat.

But...........Is this dissent or foul and abusive language?

For a center official, the referee has set the bar of unacceptable foul or abusive language pretty dang high with his own foul and abusive vocabulary, so you can understand the surprise on the player's face when he was sent off.

Thoughts?

Are we going to hold players to a HIGHER level then we hold ourselves as officials?

Just thinking out loud here.....
First of all, I am very impressed that you were thinking.

I think you are 100% correct. You can't cuss all day and then send someone off for that. Like you said, he set the bar extremely low for his expectations of the athletes with the language he was using. Seems kind of hypocritical to me.
VICTORY OR DEATH !!!