07 Girls

Discussion of news of interest to Eastern District soccer.

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine, dualdellortos

Overcoached

Re: 07 Girls

Post by Overcoached » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Are you sure the problem isn’t overcoached u-littles that aren’t fast anymore at u14-15…but still on the ecnl teams?

Yep

Post by Yep » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Overcoached wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:27 pm
Are you sure the problem isn’t overcoached u-littles that aren’t fast anymore at u14-15…but still on the ecnl teams?
Ummm yeah- that's pretty much exactly what I was saying. Although in many cases they were never fast to begin with- just bigger and physical at a younger age

Haha

Post by Haha » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:34 pm

PLEASE wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm
Those talented and able will leave. Those choosing to stay for convenience or unconcerned with competition between players will stay. Challenge and Albion parents are too soft to travel either way due to distance.
This is beyond ridiculous as was what parent in their right mind would uproot a family and potentially careers and friends etc to move from Houston to Dallas for Youth soccer as even in Dallas among the best of the best only a couple (at more) will be able to make an above average income playing professionally.

So as far as "to soft" I would say "common sense" might be another way to put it.

Different strokes

Post by Different strokes » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Haha wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:34 pm
PLEASE wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm
Those talented and able will leave. Those choosing to stay for convenience or unconcerned with competition between players will stay. Challenge and Albion parents are too soft to travel either way due to distance.
This is beyond ridiculous as was what parent in their right mind would uproot a family and potentially careers and friends etc to move from Houston to Dallas for Youth soccer as even in Dallas among the best of the best only a couple (at more) will be able to make an above average income playing professionally.

So as far as "to soft" I would say "common sense" might be another way to put it.
Depends on what your daughters goals are and what flexibility one may have with their career that would allow you to support those goals. Of the dozen or so Houston girls who have left for Dallas, Cali, Florida, etc. I have yet to hear a single person who regretted it. In fact, quite the opposite.

Hold on

Post by Hold on » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:32 am

Hold that thought cowboy. You will see them drift back when Solar get caught for cheating. I would rather raise my DD to learn respect and fair play than be part of cheating.

JoeConnected

Post by JoeConnected » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am

Different strokes wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm
Depends on what your daughters goals are and what flexibility one may have with their career that would allow you to support those goals. Of the dozen or so Houston girls who have left for Dallas, Cali, Florida, etc. I have yet to hear a single person who regretted it. In fact, quite the opposite.
First of all the chances of you knowing the dozen girls who have left and their experience is close to zero and the other is the salaries range from 22-52K for the NWSL which is lower than most kids will make in their first job with an undergrad degree so again there should be "common sense" when supporting your kids goals + at the end of the day it should be about all the ways competitive sports help prepare your kids for the future which this article does a great job outlining.

https://fortune.com/2017/09/22/powerful ... ss-sports/

This can be done in Houston as well as Dallas. Kids from Houston, not as many due to smaller player pool, play in Power 5 and our family has first hand experience/perspective as my daughter plays on a top team here in Houston and we personally know two families who have moved to Dallas or are commuting to Dallas so we can see both sides.

notforthemoney

Post by notforthemoney » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am

JoeConnected wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am
Different strokes wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm
First of all the chances of you knowing the dozen girls who have left and their experience is close to zero and the other is the salaries range from 22-52K for the NWSL which is lower than most kids will make in their first job with an undergrad degree so again there should be "common sense" when supporting your kids goals + at the end of the day it should be about all the ways competitive sports help prepare your kids for the future which this article does a great job outlining.

https://fortune.com/2017/09/22/powerful ... ss-sports/

This can be done in Houston as well as Dallas. Kids from Houston, not as many due to smaller player pool, play in Power 5 and our family has first hand experience/perspective as my daughter plays on a top team here in Houston and we personally know two families who have moved to Dallas or are commuting to Dallas so we can see both sides.
First of all, NWSL players are massively underpaid. Maybe that is partly on us for not buying season tickets and providing better support. But I think the men's MLS clubs should do a better job of providing support. Would be great if there were a single "league" here for both men and women. Resources could supplement the women's side until it becomes more sustainable. This is already happening in Europe. Women's El Classico just sold out a full stadium at Camp Nou. That is very significant.

All that said, I respect those players with big ambitions, and the parents who support them. Being the best at something is a special goal, regardless of what the pay ultimately is. Would we say that Olympic athletes in gymnastics, swimming, or diving made poor career choices? No, of course not. Follow your passion and enjoy what this great game has to offer.

If someone has the resources and job flexibility to move to Dallas or CA, then good for them. But I also firmly believe that great players can come from anywhere. We just have to be more creative about finding the best training opportunities and environment. It should be possible- even in Houston.

DoYouHaveAnyLeft

Post by DoYouHaveAnyLeft » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Hold on wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:32 am
Hold that thought cowboy. You will see them drift back when Solar get caught for cheating. I would rather raise my DD to learn respect and fair play than be part of cheating.
My guess is they will be drifting, drifting towards Seattle come June. Heck Houston if you have any top talented 07's left, I'm talking top 1 or 2 on the team, we have a spot for you at FCD. Might as well throw my DD's team in the mix before Solar drains the city or the D'Feeters get ya. And I know for some its crazy to see kids traveling for youth sports. If you have kids that play elite level basketball, or baseball, you know Dallas is a stone throw away in comparison to what these families are doing who are traveling in between states to play on the best AAU teams in the country. Heck look up Drive Nation.

No Solar

Post by No Solar » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:39 pm

Not a single girl from Solar has been on the Women’s National Team. I’m not talking about the U-Littles to even U-23. I mean the ACTUAL Women’s National Team. If there is or was please send link.
And as far as I can tell/research not a single Texas player has ever been on the team. Again, I don’t mind being proven wrong, just send a link.
Yes, Solar is above the rest for both good and bad reasons. But as someone previously posted - Houston clubs are stagnant, so are the coaches and their vision. They keep little Susie u-10 superstar and her parents happy and a few of their friends. Clubs gloated about a few big school placements (some of those girls sit the bench but a few have success - don’t want to take that away from the girls) and we continue to be left with crumbs, bickering and complacency. Parents should use their voice but are in fear of retaliation by club coaches. I wish the parents would support each other but they don’t.

HereGoes1

Post by HereGoes1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:48 pm

No Solar wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:39 pm
Not a single girl from Solar has been on the Women’s National Team. I’m not talking about the U-Littles to even U-23. I mean the ACTUAL Women’s National Team. If there is or was please send link.
And as far as I can tell/research not a single Texas player has ever been on the team. Again, I don’t mind being proven wrong, just send a link.
Yes, Solar is above the rest for both good and bad reasons. But as someone previously posted - Houston clubs are stagnant, so are the coaches and their vision. They keep little Susie u-10 superstar and her parents happy and a few of their friends. Clubs gloated about a few big school placements (some of those girls sit the bench but a few have success - don’t want to take that away from the girls) and we continue to be left with crumbs, bickering and complacency. Parents should use their voice but are in fear of retaliation by club coaches. I wish the parents would support each other but they don’t.
Here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Smith_(soccer)