STYSA not recognizing Independent teams anymore??

Discussion of issues affecting all of South Texas

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine

themudflap
STXSoccer Varsity Team

Re: STYSA not recognizing Independent teams anymore??

Post by themudflap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Nobody screwed me over. I don't like where youth soccer is heading. Its not about the kids, but the Benjamins.

YNOT

Post by YNOT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 pm

STYSA has never recognized independent teams, they only recognize Member Associations. If you have issues, those would be at the STYSA member association level (AAYSA) or AAYSA Memeber Association level (ACYSO?) From the AAYSA Constitution:

"Membership in AAYSA shall consist of properly constituted and approved youth soccer
associations, organization, clubs and leagues, herein known as “member associations,” within
AAYSA’s defined territory. Each member organization shall retain its own autonomy; however,
each will adhere to AAYSA’s Constitution, Bylaws and Rules pertaining to all matters within
AAYSA’s authority. Upon Governing Board approval, AAYSA shall admit as member
organizations applicant organizations, associations, clubs or leagues within its area. Any
applicant with less that twelve (12) member teams shall not be granted separate membership but
may become a non-voting AAYSA associate member whose representative may participate in all
discussion, and whose teams may participate in all AAYSA competitions."

guest-PV

Post by guest-PV » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 pm

But you can be an independent team and play in a STYSA cup; the team is registered with WDDOA as an independent and also with STYSA for a spring cup.

Guest-RR

Post by Guest-RR » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah, I am a little confused on this STYSA independent thing. I don’t think this is a STYSA-level issue, is it?
Sounds more like AAYSA/ACYSO is not allowing independent teams. And if that is the case, just register with CAYSA. Exodus FC still exists and in fact has teams from Victoria and even, San Angelo that play under Exodus FC, in CAYSA and play. If you are Director’s or President’s Cup, teams are playing in Austin and San Antonio anyways.

As for a “tournament” team only, eh, the only problem is being in Central Texas, it takes 6 hours just to get out of Texas to play. I know teams out west, El Paso, are more apt to play as a tourney team as they can get to NM, AZ and CAS pretty easily and get to several tournaments and play in 4 states (TX).

farsidepost
STXSoccer Professional Team

Post by farsidepost » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 pm

WDDOA's charter allows them to register teams with no affiliation. If you want to play S2, d2, d3, etc, you will need to be part of a club. I am sure in Austin there are clubs set up for this sole purpose. In Austin you can always go through Exodus. Some of the other clubs will allow you to register through them and will leave you alone.

This isn't a real problem, unless you make it one.

Attacking3rd
STXSoccer JV Team

Post by Attacking3rd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 am

farsidepost wrote:WDDOA's charter allows them to register teams with no affiliation. If you want to play S2, d2, d3, etc, you will need to be part of a club. I am sure in Austin there are clubs set up for this sole purpose. In Austin you can always go through Exodus. Some of the other clubs will allow you to register through them and will leave you alone.

This isn't a real problem, unless you make it one.
I have to agree with you on this one. Back in the day the BAYSA rec clubs that eventually formed what is now Space City FC put forth independent teams that were formed every year to compete in EDDOA etc. Friendswood, Clear Lake, and League City were (technically speaking) recreation soccer clubs that didn't have a true competitive team program. Those clubs did have competitive teams at the D1 level, but in truth they were independent teams. It benefitted the D1 teams to be attached to a rec club so that they could get access practice fields and other types of club support. But make no mistake, the clubs did not control the teams. They were run, trained, and managed by one or more of the Dads on the team. It was also common for some teams to go out and find an independent trainer to coach the teams.

GRAYSA COACH

Post by GRAYSA COACH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 am

Check out http://www.graysasoccer.org low cost registration fees still in affect.

Midnight Lurker

Post by Midnight Lurker » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:20 am

GRAYSA COACH wrote:Check out http://www.graysasoccer.org low cost registration fees still in affect.
This is advertising, which should be removed and posted in another section.

Newbietx

Post by Newbietx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Loop Holes wrote:Just register under US CLUB soccer as a tournament team. It's cheaper than STYSA and you can save your money only for tournaments. Really all you need to put efforts into is getting a sponsor. That's what I'm doing currently with my team. Flying under the radar with one of the best girls teams in the state and only doing out of states tournaments and play up tournaments in Texas. Thank god for the sponsor we have to make this all happen.

STYSAruleChange

Post by STYSAruleChange » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 am

All,
There are 19 STYSA rule changes up for vote and rule change 1http://www.stxsoccer.org/docs/W12%20Rul ... Const).pdf is related to this thread. Submitted by: David Buckler – STYSA Secretary. Isn't it ironic that he is a Lonestar guy!!! Hmm! What is the true agenda for this rule?

In Addition, there is an interesting rule change (14)http://www.stxsoccer.org/docs/W12%20Rul ... mation.pdf up for vote that would allow associations such as CAYSA to provide there membership clubs an option of playing 8 as side or 11 as side for U11 and U12.

Rule Change 1: Proposed Additions and/or Changes:1.8.1. ASSOCIATE ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP. Any youth soccer association within the geographic boundaries of STYSA with twelve (12) or fewer member teams (with minimum team size determined by the STYSA Playing Rules in effect at the time of application for membership) shall not receive full member status, but shall, if approved, have associate member status. An associate member: i) may participate in STYSA member meetings but shall not have the right to vote and ii) may not send teams to participate in STYSA competitions.
SECTION II - JUSTIFICATION FOR THE PROPOSED RULE CHANGE:
Housekeeping change to clarify the wording as to the difference between Associate Membership and Full Membership

Rule Change 14: SECTION II - JUSTIFICATION FOR THE PROPOSED RULE CHANGE:Request that Rule 3.3 include a sub-paragraph to include a sentence that allow the member association to determine if Under 11 and Under 12 teams be allowed to play small-sided (8 v 8) or full-sided (11 v 11) games.
Many clubs in Western District have asked for 11 v 11 at the U11/U12 levels of play. Since Eastern District does not send U11 and U12 teams to STYSA championship events many clubs have asked that CAYSA be able to run 11 v 11 at both the U11/U12 level. This rule would give the association the ability to work with our membership to determine what size games to offer and administer.

List of rules up for vote:
http://stxsoccer.org/StateMeetings/591834.html