Time For UT Change

Discussion of college soccer, Texas schools, Texas players etc. Started by request. Will be deleted if not used.

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine, generalzodd

Re: Time For UT Change

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm

not much wrote:
Guest wrote:So you don't think any development can happen after a girls 18th birthday?
Hmmm. Being recruited into a expectedly high end D1 soccer program, I wouldn't expect much need for soccer development. If anything that need would be similar across other Big 12 programs. At that point, what differentiates the programs?
Ex D1 athlete and I can guarantee you development never ends. Just that statement alone tells me you never played at a high level. I agree with the lack of coaching at UT. The style of play is ugly. Have watched several games this year. The first game of the year was telling a small d1 program outclassed them and won. Seattle played pretty soccer good movement good possession solid technically built up from the back and coach I think had been there 20+ years going from d3 to d1. Coaching matters at every level and she is not getting it done. She knows that I promise but with current UT issues may continue to get a pass. Previous poster was right no one cares about women's sports much less soccer at the forty acres. She recruits the cream of the crop but they seem to be very average once here. Something is broke not sure what. Hook em!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Guest wrote:
not much wrote:
Guest wrote:So you don't think any development can happen after a girls 18th birthday?
Hmmm. Being recruited into a expectedly high end D1 soccer program, I wouldn't expect much need for soccer development. If anything that need would be similar across other Big 12 programs. At that point, what differentiates the programs?
Ex D1 athlete and I can guarantee you development never ends. Just that statement alone tells me you never played at a high level. I agree with the lack of coaching at UT. The style of play is ugly. Have watched several games this year. The first game of the year was telling a small d1 program outclassed them and won. Seattle played pretty soccer good movement good possession solid technically built up from the back and coach I think had been there 20+ years going from d3 to d1. Coaching matters at every level and she is not getting it done. She knows that I promise but with current UT issues may continue to get a pass. Previous poster was right no one cares about women's sports much less soccer at the forty acres. She recruits the cream of the crop but they seem to be very average once here. Something is broke not sure what. Hook em!
Agree 100%. starting with Dang then Petrucelli now this coach and Lilly is wretched to watch. Really thought it would be good with Petrucelli but was disappointed. They had a chance to get Waldrum but passed. UT has been a killer of talent. I hope it turns around soon or dump both These UT coaches. Hook Em!

USMNT

Post by USMNT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 am

Poor play on the field.

Being schooled by lower teams.

Highly recruited players not playing to potential.

Big names around the program are not the calling card.

Former "top player" coaching.

Excitement around the program has fallen off sharply.

Sounds like the USMNT to me....

bottoms up

Post by bottoms up » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:07 am

USMNT wrote:Poor play on the field.

Being schooled by lower teams.

Highly recruited players not playing to potential.

Big names around the program are not the calling card.

Former "top player" coaching.

Excitement around the program has fallen off sharply.

Sounds like the USMNT to me....
School Big 12 Overall Pct.
West Virginia 5 - 0 13 - 1 - 1 .900
Baylor 4 - 1 - 1 11 - 4 - 1 .719
Oklahoma 4 - 2 11 - 4 - 1 .719
Kansas 3 - 1 - 1 8 - 4 - 3 .633
Oklahoma State 3 - 3 - 1 8 - 6 - 3 .559
Iowa State 2 - 3 - 1 8 - 5 - 1 .607
Texas Tech 1 - 4 8 - 5 - 2 .600
TCU 0 - 4 - 1 8 - 4 - 2 .643
Texas 0 - 4 - 1 7 - 7 - 1 .500

GodsHolyTrousers
STXSoccer Reserve Squad

Post by GodsHolyTrousers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Feather Ruffling Time:

I got lambasted by some for suggesting that maybe these ECNL / DA players aren't as good as you think they are.
I'm not saying that they aren't good. They are good, but they are not substantially better than the rest of the regular Janes or Johns running around kicking a ball on the weekends.

Maybe the top 30 girls in the state are "elite". A&M takes the top 5-6.
The next group of 10-15 "elite" are off to North Carolina, Notre Dame, etc...
SMU, Tech, Texas, fight over the scraps that don't want to leave the state, the remaining 9-10 girls.

I'd guess that the real number of difference makers is 3-4 girls per year. Maybe an odd year produces 6.
The rest are just good squad players who are wonderful young ladies that work hard and commit to the team concept.
"When we're finished with you, you'll be able to stand up and slaughter your enemies like civilized men".
- Brother Peachey Carnehan

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Problem at UT is they tend to recruit one type of player, USWNT model. Bigger and stronger and play for the win in the second half after you wear down the other team. Coach Kelly has run off or inappropriately uses and not developed her technical players. Her style has not worked because UT can't control the flow coming back through midfield (I assume because she can't coach it). Then when they win the ball in the back 1/3 they have no real counter other than over the top into the corners looking for the random cross and trying to win corners or set plays. The technical smart teams are eating her lunch because she is not getting the fouls and the smart players on the other teams know how to play the end-lines not giving up as many corners.

UT may not even make the big 12 tournament this year using this broken system of play.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:20 pm

GodsHolyTrousers wrote:Feather Ruffling Time:

I got lambasted by some for suggesting that maybe these ECNL / DA players aren't as good as you think they are.
I'm not saying that they aren't good. They are good, but they are not substantially better than the rest of the regular Janes or Johns running around kicking a ball on the weekends.

SMU, Tech, Texas, fight over the scraps that don't want to leave the state, the remaining 9-10 girls.

I'd guess that the real number of difference makers is 3-4 girls per year. Maybe an odd year produces 6.
The rest are just good squad players who are wonderful young ladies that work hard and commit to the team concept.
No your spot on they are not as good as they think and saw proof of that last year at POE. When the girls are all mixed up very few stood out. You would think a national team player would make Mensed meat of the low life third teamed. She did not did not even stand out but others clearly did. Point being some are getting by on rep and once on campus no one cares anymore and Kelly is not coaching them up. Have always said take the top 3 off any ECNL team and they come back to the second team level.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Guest wrote:

No your spot on they are not as good as they think and saw proof of that last year at POE. When the girls are all mixed up very few stood out. You would think a national team player would make Mensed meat of the low life third teamed. She did not did not even stand out but others clearly did. Point being some are getting by on rep and once on campus no one cares anymore and Kelly is not coaching them up. Have always said take the top 3 off any ECNL team and they come back to the second team level.

I have told you once I have told you 1M times... ECNL is the country club of girls youth soccer. That way the suburban kids don't have to be on the same teams with the rest of us. They get their own league own fields etc etc etc. and don't have to look bad when the step-over does not work or when they lose. But they get a nifty patch.

CreamOfTheCrop

Post by CreamOfTheCrop » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:45 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I have told you once I have told you 1M times... ECNL is the country club of girls youth soccer. That way the suburban kids don't have to be on the same teams with the rest of us. They get their own league own fields etc etc etc. and don't have to look bad when the step-over does not work or when they lose. But they get a nifty patch.
Problem is... vast majority of big D1 programs and National scouting is from ECNL. Lots of good players are never seen. In the case of UT and other under performers, I think arrogance drives this.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Should we be surprised when ECNL brags of all its players filling the National youth teams while those teams and players struggle with international competition?