Moving On From Youth Soccer

Discussion of college soccer, Texas schools, Texas players etc. Started by request. Will be deleted if not used.

Moderators: SAChamps, Grapevine, generalzodd

Double DD
STXSoccer Professional Team

Re: Moving On From Youth Soccer

Post by Double DD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 am

Would love to hear how all the freshmen are enjoying their first season so far?

Cowgirls

Post by Cowgirls » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:00 am

Mine is going to McNeese State. Cowgirls had a good winning streak coming in until last weekend. This is after they just tied Baylor. Surprisingly Baylor plays kickball but has some exceptional athletes especially the defenders. Hopefully McNeese will rebound against Sam Houston.

College soccer is vastly different than club or HS. Total hands off as a parent. You show up to the games and you leave. The first month was grueling and not for sissies! Especially the 3 a days in August. My DD loves her teammates and they are a close sisterhood. Playing at the college level keeps the players focused but they really have to want to play to stick with it. McNeese does have a strong supporting coaching staff without frequent staff turnover which is something parents should take in consideration when scouting for schools.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Cowgirls wrote:Mine is going to McNeese State. Cowgirls had a good winning streak coming in until last weekend. This is after they just tied Baylor. Surprisingly Baylor plays kickball but has some exceptional athletes especially the defenders. Hopefully McNeese will rebound against Sam Houston.

College soccer is vastly different than club or HS. Total hands off as a parent. You show up to the games and you leave. The first month was grueling and not for sissies! Especially the 3 a days in August. My DD loves her teammates and they are a close sisterhood. Playing at the college level keeps the players focused but they really have to want to play to stick with it. McNeese does have a strong supporting coaching staff without frequent staff turnover which is something parents should take in consideration when scouting for schools.
Go Cowboys!! Kind of (got to keep it quiet). ;) That is my alma matta, but my oldest will be on her way to the red enemy that broke the streak. I have come to know Scooter pretty good over the years - good guy. And you are right, the college coach turnover has been boiling the last couple of years. Used to be a low pay - low pressure job, but the higher profile soccer is becoming brings more pressure to win from the AD's and now it is a low pay - high pressure job.

Good advise on the desire needed to push through. It honestly is a good taste of real life and a real job and the commitment and accountability is much higher than they are accustomed. It will either grow your appreciation and love to the sport or turn you totally against it. The ones who stick with it will be richer for it IMO, but a good environment which includes coaches, players, and at least a small fan base can make a world of difference.

Good Luck and see you at the game next year in Lake Charles hopefully.

Cowgirls

Post by Cowgirls » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Guest wrote:
Cowgirls wrote:Mine is going to McNeese State. Cowgirls had a good winning streak coming in until last weekend. This is after they just tied Baylor. Surprisingly Baylor plays kickball but has some exceptional athletes especially the defenders. Hopefully McNeese will rebound against Sam Houston.

Go Cowboys!! Kind of (got to keep it quiet). ;) That is my alma matta, but my oldest will be on her way to the red enemy that broke the streak. I have come to know Scooter pretty good over the years - good guy. And you are right, the college coach turnover has been boiling the last couple of years. Used to be a low pay - low pressure job, but the higher profile soccer is becoming brings more pressure to win from the AD's and now it is a low pay - high pressure job.

Good advise on the desire needed to push through. It honestly is a good taste of real life and a real job and the commitment and accountability is much higher than they are accustomed. It will either grow your appreciation and love to the sport or turn you totally against it. The ones who stick with it will be richer for it IMO, but a good environment which includes coaches, players, and at least a small fan base can make a world of difference.

Good Luck and see you at the game next year in Lake Charles hopefully.
You will see us:) Good luck to you and yours too:)

SFA

Post by SFA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 am

Congrats to Coach Wally being named Southland Conf. "Coach of the Year" in his first year at SFA. Great season! The team is well represented by local talent.
Congrats also to all the local college Freshman making it through their first season at next level.

Cowgirls

Post by Cowgirls » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Congrats!