WDDOA Moving Games to 5 Mile Dam

If it doesn't go somewhere else, it goes here.

Moderator: Grapevine

Under The Crossbar
STXSoccer Reserve Squad

WDDOA Moving Games to 5 Mile Dam

Post by Under The Crossbar » Tue May 31, 2011 8:02 am

Heard that WDDOA might be moving it's games from Austin and San Antonio to the new 5 Mile Dam Park. One concern is getting refs to make the drive down there.

Coach H
STXSoccer Professional Team

Re: WDDOA Moving Games to 5 Mile Dam

Post by Coach H » Tue May 31, 2011 9:39 am

5 Mile Dam is a lot better than 3 Mile Island! :twisted:
"Forget the appreciation, I want to win a soccer game!"---Mike Ditka

PacmanJr_00
STXSoccer Forum Legend

Post by PacmanJr_00 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 am

Nice facility..limited shade
"The greed that has permeated our country’s youth soccer programs is holding up the development of our players by requiring every person who wants to play, to pay OUTRAGEOUS fees that get more and more expensive as the players get older."

guest-pv

Post by guest-pv » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 am

5 Mile Dam Park is a great venue for neutral-site games between Austin and SA or points south, but it is not big enough to be used for a full regular season schedule. Only 10 fields and people were parked all along the entry and exit roads during the National Cup state tournament this weekend. And if you are on field 1 or 2, you have quite a hike back to the concession stand/restroom building.

Another Unregistered Guest

Post by Another Unregistered Guest » Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 am

I mentioned it on another thread that this site is the perfect venue for WDDOA as a neutral site between SA & Austin teams. WDDOA can consolidate their operations under one centralized location, and use the park all weekend. One location instead of three (NEMP, SSC, CE). It will be much easier for WDDOA to administer schedules when they can control the time & location, with much less input from team managers.

They better jump on it before WD does.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=694

Another Unregistered Guest

Post by Another Unregistered Guest » Tue May 31, 2011 1:44 pm

guest-pv wrote:5 Mile Dam Park is a great venue for neutral-site games between Austin and SA or points south, but it is not big enough to be used for a full regular season schedule. Only 10 fields and people were parked all along the entry and exit roads during the National Cup state tournament this weekend. And if you are on field 1 or 2, you have quite a hike back to the concession stand/restroom building.
Tournament/Playoff weekends are entirely different from regular season weekends. Families tend to stay at a complex longer due to multiple games in one day, thus, parking is static. During regular season weekends, parking is much more fluid.

Anyone who complains about the hike to a restroom must not like physical activity. What do you call the hike at NEMP to the restroom if you're on the field near the circle drive towards the entrance?

guest-pv

Post by guest-pv » Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 pm

I live three minutes from NEMP; restrooms not a problem. ;) And for the record, I was not complaining, just merely stating a fact that involves 5MD Park, especially for the many people who have not been there before.

Curiously Confused

Post by Curiously Confused » Fri May 25, 2012 8:16 am

Very nice facilities at 5mile ; fields are nice, no turtle backs like STAR-though STAR is a nice complex as well.

But I want to throw a topic out there. It seems, that facilities start out nice and then within just a few short years, something falls out. I know the weather has been bad, obvious argument. But, if we centralized WDDOA/STYSA matches to just a few locations, wouldn’t the revenue generated be enough to maintain the fields?

Instead of playing STAR, Schertz which some fields still look like a cow pasture with white paint, NEMP, 5Mile, the new CE fields which is close to beach soccer, EMP, SEMP; would we be better served in our area by picking 3 fields; STAR, 5Mile and NEMP. Though right now, NEMP are nearly in the worst shape I have ever seen. But concentrating games to these fields, would drive more money to these fields and improve maintenance instead of dispersing the funds around town to 6-7 complexes. Or am I missing something? Maybe something political? Or just general, let’s make decisions based on something else rather than its impact on youth soccer in our area?

Curious

Post by Curious » Fri May 25, 2012 8:17 am

But I want to throw a topic out there. It seems, that facilities start out nice and then within just a few short years, something falls out. I know the weather has been bad, obvious argument. But, if we centralized WDDOA/STYSA matches to just a few locations, wouldn’t the revenue generated be enough to maintain the fields?

Instead of playing STAR, Schertz which some fields still look like a cow pasture with white paint, NEMP, 5Mile, the new CE fields which is close to beach soccer and kids can build sandcastles after the game, EMP, SEMP; would we be better served in our area by picking 3 fields; STAR, 5Mile and NEMP. Though right now, NEMP are nearly in the worst shape I have ever seen. But concentrating games to these fields, would drive more money to these fields and improve maintenance instead of dispersing the funds around town to 6-7 complexes. Or am I missing something? Maybe something political? Or just general, let’s make decisions based on something else rather than its impact on youth soccer in our area?

SoccererizeMe
STXSoccer Reserve Squad

Post by SoccererizeMe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Under The Crossbar wrote:Heard that WDDOA might be moving it's games from Austin and San Antonio to the new 5 Mile Dam Park. One concern is getting refs to make the drive down there.
Had a feeling this would happen once the season started for the Scorpions. Wait till their stadium is built. Things will probably get even rougher to have games at Star.