Osgood Schlatter disease

If it doesn't go somewhere else, it goes here.

Moderator: Grapevine

soccer dad 0905
STXSoccer Select Team
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 am

Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by soccer dad 0905 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Have any of your kids suffered from Osgood Schlatter disease? Its a condition in which the tendons in the knee actually pull up on the growth plates. My son has been dealing with this since this summer and it seems to come and go, but when it flares up he is pretty much at 50%.

Doc says that all you can do is ice and anti inflamatories but just curious if you (the forum) have had any expirience with your kids suffering from this? Any advice, other than rest on how to help my buddy out? :?

User avatar
2LongNAUS
STXSoccer Forum Legend
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm
Location: Liberty Hill, TX
Contact:

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by 2LongNAUS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 pm

In 20+ years I have probably had a dozen or so players with Osgood Schlatter's. What the doctor says seems to be my experience with it. It flares up, there isn't much they can do, and they eventually outgrow it. Onset of puberty seems to be a prime time for it to appear.
“I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league” - Mark Viduka

97GFAN
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by 97GFAN » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:29 am

DD had impressive results with both this and serious (non tear) knee injury from Ken @ Therapy Central in Round Rock on Bagdad Rd. Dr's all said "time" was only answer for both but results were basically immediate. Always thought this was hoaky but worked really well for her.

Hycast
STXSoccer JV Team
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 am

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by Hycast » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:23 pm

My son's was diagnosed with this about 3 years ago. got so bad he could not walk on the leg. his knee DR said that most do not get that bad and in time he will outgrow it. . He will evenrtually need surgery to remove the bone chips that were pulled loose the first year but dr said to wait until he was through with sports since the chips were not causing any pain. dr also recomended massage therapy on the legs and knees to keep them flexible and not as tight. we have been doing that 2x a month for last several years and it seems to be helping . still flares up every once in a while but not as bad as that first year.

soccer dad 0905
STXSoccer Select Team
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 am

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by soccer dad 0905 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:27 pm

My son had a major breakthrough with his Osgood last week. He discovered that by simply dislocating his thumb he was able to forget completely about the pain in his knees! All kidding aside it seems that a good amount of rest over the holidays did wonders for his OS. Keeping fingers crossed that he may be over the hump with it.

Coach H
STXSoccer Professional Team
Posts: 990
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: On a sideline. Coaching a kid to greatness!
Contact:

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by Coach H » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

soccer dad 0905 wrote:My son had a major breakthrough with his Osgood last week. He discovered that by simply dislocating his thumb he was able to forget completely about the pain in his knees! All kidding aside it seems that a good amount of rest over the holidays did wonders for his OS. Keeping fingers crossed that he may be over the hump with it.

Who needs a thumb anyway!
"Forget the appreciation, I want to win a soccer game!"---Mike Ditka

soccerdude28
STXSoccer Professional Team
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by soccerdude28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 am

Coach H wrote:
soccer dad 0905 wrote:My son had a major breakthrough with his Osgood last week. He discovered that by simply dislocating his thumb he was able to forget completely about the pain in his knees! All kidding aside it seems that a good amount of rest over the holidays did wonders for his OS. Keeping fingers crossed that he may be over the hump with it.

Who needs a thumb anyway!
I agree as long as he's not a keeper! :o :o

Dominiclow

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by Dominiclow » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm

LOL LOL LOL

soccer dad 0905
STXSoccer Select Team
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 am

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by soccer dad 0905 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Kiddo has been on a supplement called Oscon for his knee pain. According to him it has worked wonders and he has not complained about his Osgoods at all. Not sure if it was entirely the supplement or maybe he just grew out of it. Just glad to see him moving freely out there again. :D

User avatar
Gooner
STXSoccer Professional Team
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: Clear Lake

Re: Osgood Schlatter disease

Post by Gooner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm

soccer dad 0905 wrote:Kiddo has been on a supplement called Oscon for his knee pain. According to him it has worked wonders and he has not complained about his Osgoods at all. Not sure if it was entirely the supplement or maybe he just grew out of it. Just glad to see him moving freely out there again. :D
That is great news. I hope all goes well for him and for you.

Locked